I have come to seek wisdom from the group.  Recently, I have hit a wall
with one of my branches.  The ancestor nearest me is Mary Agnes Silva
(married William Perry).  She was born in Buffalo, NY Jan 24, 1868.  Her
parents were Joseph Silva and Mary Roderick.  I have no records of birth,
only the death cert to confirm.  In 1869, I find the family in Oakland, CA,
with a new son named Joseph.  Interestingly, Joseph’s name on the
internment records is Joseph Dyce.  Also, his death cert is Joseph Dyce
with mothers maiden name as Mary Roderick.  So that fits.  Fast forward to
the 1880 Oakland, CA census she is now married to Joseph Nichols and living
next door to a family of Roderick’s.  I have to assume it’s her brother.  Her
mother was also living with the brother I believe.  All are buried at the
same cemetery.  All I believe are from the Azores.  I would like to find
from where in the Azores.  I have searched Ancestry at nausea, Google, news
archives, library of congress and so on.  Anyone have ideas or connections?
I can’t find any info on Joseph Silva the biological father.  I assume only
the birth record of Mary Agnes Silva would include that info, but she was
born in 1868 Buffalo, NY, hospital unknown.  Mary Roderick (Silva, Dyce,
Nichols) died in Oakland in 1901.  The death was only recorded on ledger
and gives simple info.  Thanks for reading…

John Machado