The name is perfectly clear to me. The first rule in researching any document,
is that one needs to view the "entire" document, so that all information is
seen in context. Everyone on this thread is focusing on just a part of a name
that they have construed to be an abbreviation for the given name Manuel -
when, in fact, the given name is actually "Mathias" (that's lazy research, and
it will result in a lot of wasted time, dead ends, and frustration for the
researcher).
Right after the given name, Mathias, the surname is listed "de Barbosa da
Costa." Perhaps those who think they see a "Mel Pires" ought to go back and
review the "entire" line in question...