I am trying to trace my Altares line back and have come to a stop for the
moment as the records are not present prior to 1644 (Baptisms) and 1648
(Marriages). My ancestor is Belchior Goncalves de Carvalho who was married
to Maria Goncalves. Their son Manuel Goncalves Carvalho was married prior
to 1646 to Maria de Melo presumably in Altares (as this is where all of
their children were born) and once before that to Catharina Pereira in Se,
Terceira on 1 Feb 1633. Through the earlier marriage record I was able to
get the names of his parents of Belchior Goncalves Carvalho and Maria
Goncalves.

Any suggestions where I might go from there to get the generation before
Belchior? Do records exist prior to 1644 in Altares, or were they destroyed
or part of another parish before that?

Thanks,

             David