*Eddie,
*
*I know of Azorean families in which every single female child had Maria as
a first name. They typically go by there middle names.  I have a number of
female cousins born in the Azores who went by their middle names among
family and close friends. Those who have immigrated to the US are usually
known as Maria by their non-portuguese friends and in work situations but
usually continue to be known by their middle name by family and friends.
John Vasconcelos*