I can tell u it is confusing. My maternal grandfather, Manuel Mendes Ferreira,
Jr. used Ferreira when he came to this country but his brothers used Mendes.
When my mother was born, he used Ferreira on the documentation including the
church baptism records. A couple of years later his son was born and the
baptism record says Mendes. Same father, same mother. My mother remembers as a
child telling people her last name was Ferreira and the older ladies telling
her 'no, you're Mendes.' Very confusing.
My maternal grandmother used her middle name as her last name. 'Candida' was
written on all the documentation. When she applied for SSN we finally got the
actual names of her parents. That might have been a language issue. She spoke
very little English.