The naming practice is just as confusing to me when I am in the Azores
among the living as it is in searching documents. I have neighbors I know
are related to each other with different family names. Some children use
the father's family name, others use the mother's.

One factor, I've learned, is the repetition of the same handful of given
names. Most women have Maria as their first given name, which means most
women have the same name.  How do you distinguish one from the other? Some
use a combination of first and second names as in "Maria Santo Christo" or
"Maria da Paz." Some go entirely by the second name. Many women named
"Maria Conceição" go only by Conceição. One family here of four sisters is
an example. Each one is Maria, though only the first one uses that name
(Maria da Gloria), the next two (twins) use only their second names, and
the fourth one goes back and forth between Maria Margarida and just
Margarida. In her case two different people talking about her to me might
use different names to refer to her. As for a family name, that can depend
upon whose land the family now lives on. All four of these sisters use
their family name, not their husbands' names, primarily because their
family has been a prominent one for a few generations.

In the case of my family in Faial, my grandfather's youngest sister
remained in the house to care for their mother and she remained in the
house after their mother died. Her last name was Leal, same as everyone
else in the family. She married "the boy next door" whose family name was
Coelho; however, she deemed "rabbit" an inappropriate name for a woman, so
she never changed her last name. In turn, both her sons used the name
Coelho, but she used Leal with her daughter, which she still does, long
after her marriage to Abreu (another boy next door). Maintaining the Leal
name ties her with the property and signals everyone how the property has
passed from generation to generation.

Another complication is the repetition of the male names José, Manuel,
Jõao, António, or Carlos. The oldest son quite often gets the same first
name as his father. I have a neighbor, Manuel Paulino, whose adult son is
also Manuel. So the two could be told apart, the son uses his mother's
family name: Manuel Furtado. This is what everyone calls him. In turn, his
daughters use Paulino as their family name. Thus, their birth certificates
probably show their parents' last names as different from their own.

In the nearby town of Santo Amaro, most men and many women use two names:
António Carlos, José Manuel, Maria de Jesus, Mary Jõao, and so on. Many of
my neighbors do not even know each other's last name!!!! Reason: Many of
the 294 permanent residents have one of three dominant family names:
Morais, Neves, or Melo. Some have TWO of those names in their "full" names.
Here in my fourth summer, I am still trying to get the names straight, and
I frequently have to look at my notes to see who is who. It took me two
summers to determine whether it's António Carlos or Carlos António I call
for delivery of the gas cannisters. And then I had to spend another summer
getting straight whether I was to call António Carlos Melo Neves or António
Carlos Neves Melo! Finally, I have it right.

Really, getting the names straight among the living is difficult enough;
searching through old records seems nearly impossible. But as many of us
have found out, the results are worth the effort!

Tomás Leal