From: Cheri Mello
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:30 AM
To: Azores Genealogy
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] A DIAS breakthrough… that I'd love some help
with, please.

Repost for Julie Skellern, jooqls at gmail.com

Thanks to those who had a go at Peek Pike. (I don't know how to reference all
your posts).

In the US 1880 Census of Almeda County, California, some dozen or so families
also claimed to come from Peek Pike (no parish, no island, not even a country).
 By the 1890 Census some of those people just said Portugal.
http://www.l-ags.org/census1880/census1880.03.html  There's hordes of Azoreans
on that page from all over the various isles.

Francis was a mariner (as was my ancestor) so he appears in several shipping
records with Faial.  It is this newspaper report AND his own Master Mariner's
certificate in New Zealand that quotes the Peak/Peek Pike.  Information he's
verbally given to *English* (no Australian or New Zealand accents back in the
1860s) writers.  I'd always assumed Pico too, until I first came across a Faial
reference.

Given that looks like a fail on identifying the place, what of the spelling of
the middle name of his father please ~ the Portuguese of "Graties"?