On Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:44:11 PM UTC+2, Eileen Leite wrote:

> FamilySearch.org is a free online site that has millions of records,
> including US Censuses.  They are gradually adding films from continental
> Portugal, some indexed, some just as digitalized, browsable, films. Someone
> posted this week that the Portugal information on FamilySearch is only
> accessible to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
> That is not the case.  I spoke with my local FHC Director about that.
>  Logging in as a member of the LDS church gives one fullest access to the
> site, especially to the personal family trees.  You can also log in without
> being a member of that church: click LOG IN and then “Create An Account”.
> But going in without logging in still gives you broad access.

Hi,

Eileen, sorry to reiterate.. Most of the Portuguese images are
off-limits  >>> from the comfort of their homes <<< to non-members of the
LDS church OR supporting organizations. My steps to reproduce:

1. Login to the FamilySearch.org site.
2. Select Search > Continental Europe > Portugal > (... ) Faro (...) >
Browse through 138.057 images > Faro > Albufeira > Guia > Nossa Senhora da
Visitação > Batismos 1845-1865
3. Error "Image not available" (confirming that I am still logged in).

You can see in
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Portugal,_Diocese_of_Faro_Catholic_Church_Records_(FamilySearch_Historical_Records)
 :

"Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users.
However, ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the
record custodians. The Portugal, Faro, Catholic Church Records collection
is available to the Family History Library, FamilySearch Centers, and to
members of the supporting organization, The Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints. The images can be viewed at a FamilySearch Center near
you."

So, if you want to travel physically to an FHC to access an Internet site,
yes you'll have access even without being a member. I'm so glad that I
don't have to go to the nearest Google Data Center to access Google.. What
a pain that would be. There is an FHC in the town I live. It stays open for
about 1 hour every Tuesday after my work day finishes. Imagine how useful
the internet would be if you could only access Google 1 hour per week.

João Ventura