Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Esteves/Steves
From: Mary Bordi <busybo...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, September 01, 2013 7:51 pm
To: "azores@googlegroups.com" <azores@googlegroups.com>

I thought I would add my experience. I learned Portuguese at the age of 40. I still lack the confidence to converse and lack the opportunity but I can read it well. That is, newspapers, Internet articles.

The written documents were another thing! Just jump in, as has been mentioned. Look for names. Pretty soon you will "get" the format for the years you are looking at. Other words will jump out at you and you will learn their meanings. Padrinho for example--godfather. These will help you find your place in the document. Don't think because you aren't fluent you can't do it. Even people who can read modern Portuguese articles struggle with those documents.

Do not be discouraged! It's not easy at first but it is SO rewarding!

Mary Bordi

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---