Hi Everyone,

At the risk of looking silly because this may have been discussed in the
past, I am going to go ahead and post something that just became clear to
me this past week.  Besides my Azorean DNA tests, I have tested my non
Azorean husband with the Family Finder and he has a very mixed background
(half Irish, but then Heinz 57 with Canadian French, Sioux Indian, German,
and too far back in the US to know where they came from!!).  So I noticed
that two of his FF matches had clicked the little button to confirm the
relationship and had posted their GEDCOMs and I looked but could not find a
match.  So I wrote to them and they both answered back to say that they did
that so they could use the "IN COMMON WITH" function. I don't know if this
has been discussed as I have been gone a lot this summer but it certainly
was news to me!! I guess once you confirm that you are related then you can
search by putting the name of the person that you are related to in the
second fill in slot and when you search that way, you find out who shares
the same ancestry. It is pretty cool and for my husband's lines, especially
helpful.

I am so "inbred" that it might not be quite as helpful with my Azorean
background but it can sure give hints....if most of my "in Common" matches
have  ancestry in Pico, or Flores etc....then it points us in the right
direction. So maybe you all know about this already......but I have usually
found that if I have a question about something....someone else does too!!
So hope this will help someone!

Also interesting.....a mystery in my matches!  Joao C. Ventura wrote to me
as I am one of his few matches. I ONLY have Azorean ancestry and he ONLY
has mainland Portugal matches!!! I did the "in common with' function and
there is NO ONE else that matches BOTH of us!  So Joao conjectured that it
may be one of my "incognito" fathers....a wayward sailor that spent time on
the  Azores and remains unnamed in the baptismal records (and I have quite
a few of those).  I wrote to Joao and threw in that it could also have been
an Azorean, (maybe a whaler)......who spent some time on the Mainland.
 Wait....I just thought....it could have been a woman who spent time in
either place, LOL, ......I really don't think that would be the answer!

Anyway, I am having fun with the "In Common With" function!

Susan Vargas Murphy