From: João Ventura [mailto:j...@venturas.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 2:57 AM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Cc: fishsongf...@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: FTDNA: Got Mozabite genes?

Nancy,

I'd believe all islands were raided quite often. Even mainland Portugal was
raided occasionally. I'd guess Flores and Corvo were more commonly raided,
as they were more isolated and harder to defend. From a Shipwrecking book
published by  Francisco Gomes,I see that Flores and Corvo were attacked by
pirates in 1536, 1537, 1549, 1567, 1587, 1590, 1592, 1609, 1616, 1632, 1635,
1644, 1654, 1719, 1770, 1818. Probably more, I wasn't reading all the
entries. The one in 1719 was especially bad. They captured at least 3 of my
wife's ancestors. Piracy was tolerated by every nation until about 1800. At
that time, the US Congress decided not to pay the usual bribe to the Barbary
pirates, started the US Navy and put it to good use in North Africa. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_Wars

There's a PhD thesis in Portuguese with a list of rescued captives:
http://repositorium.sdum.uminho.pt/handle/1822/13440. The lists of captives
rescued start at page 432, and besides the name of the person rescued, it
also indicates their origin, age, and the numbers of years they were
captive.

Regards,

João Ventura

.