I live in Sao Miguel, I have done research *inloco* several times. I have
had, in my hands, perfectly well preserved books, and also, some in very
delicate state of deterioration. I have sent several emails to CCA
administration and for what I understand, the conditions of these books
ALSO contribute to what ever policy of priority they are following, to the
online publication.

My most recent email response from the CCA administration, in other words,
last week, was that they are just finishing Ponta Delgada (and I am
anxiously waiting for Sao Vicente) and will do their best to make Santa
Maria available as soon as possible, Island where I am from, and where my
direct line (Chaves) is from. I have done some extensive research in CCA,
in these books already.

"...ter reparado, estamos em vias de conclusão do concelho de Ponta
Delgada, um dos maiores dos Açores, *com milhares de imagens*. Vamos fazer
os possíveis para que a disponibilidade dos registos de Santa Maria
decorrem com a maior brevidade possível." (I underlined and balded
"thousands of images")

Santa Maria has FIVE parishes, Vila do Porto, Santa Barbara, Santo
Espirito, Sao Pedro and the youngest parish is Almagreira, and the periods
within the records are, 1599 to 1906, 1640 to 1906, 1671 to 1906, 1670 to
1906 and 1903 to 1906, respectively. Some parishes are or were mentioned as
"Matriz" (Matrix), and I believe this is because from all churches in one
"Concelho", and I would call it in English, a kind of County, this was the
most important, or the "Leading" church. As time went by, some of these
places ended up adopting this name as the name of the Parish itself.
Example, Ribeira Grande, where I live, has today a Freguesia named Matriz,
and the Church is Nossa Senhora da Estrela.

Santa Maria Island also has a "Matrix Church" Padroeira Nossa Senhora da
Assuncao, ans also known as Matriz, and the parish, today Freguesia, is
Vila do Porto. I think I am explaining correctly. All this to say that
researchers here, specially the non native or with very few knowledge of
how these "Counties" were organized, should keep in mind that its better to
have a good understanding of the Azores Geography and then think about the
names of the churches, because you will find "Padroeiras" with the same
name in different places inside the same Island, or not, and also in
different islands.

Governmental territory organization is or are, young systems, before church
had a lot of power over it. Many younger "Freguesias" today, were nothing
but a LOGAR, today written, LUGAR, a word that some of you may have read
hundreds if not thousands of times. These Lugares (places) may very well be
today a Freguesia, and in some cases, you will NOT find any records prior
1911 online because they are in the village next to it, which governed it,
and the record books will tell you that. Example, check Achada - Nordeste
to look for places of Santana - Nordeste, like Feteira, also know as
Feteira Grande and Feteira Pequena, where today is a Freguesia and in the
books, Santana is a parish, or Church's Padroeira. So on, and so on.

I have seen AzoresGenWeb some time ago, and has good info, and I would
suggest also that everyone should start by knowing which Island (we are
nine) is your ancestor coming from, then what Concelho (I would call it
County) then Freguesia and I would call it Parish, then think about the
Padroeiras, those are the Saints' names the people (povo) would choose, for
many endless reason, to "baptize" the church. And as I wrote before, some
ended being chosen to be the today's name of the Freguesia.

Before you may start correcting me [?] remember please I am not an English
native writer or speaker, I was born and always lived in Azores, so my
apologies for any confused sentence, but please feel free to do so, I am
here to learn.

Regarding CCA, I don't have a clue how they are doing it, but I can
perfectly imagine its a very dedicated job to do. And yes I am also
impatient about Santa Maria, and for all that I have read, I better start
planing new visits to CCA.
--
Ricardo Chaves