Jeff,

I just saw your post talking about the origin of your family ancestors in
RGS, Brazil. As you mentioned in your email, lots of Portuguese immigrated
to different places in Brazil and the south was one of them. Many of them
immigrated to RGS and adjacent areas in the second half of the XVIII
century. The Angra do Heroismo Archives has online the "Relação dos
Imigrantes Açorianos para os Estados do Brasil, 1771-1774".  The link is
below, if you didn't check it yet.

http://www.bparah.azores.gov.pt/html/bparah-arquivo+regional-documentos+genealogicos.html

Also, I'm sure you will be able to contact the Historic Archives in Porto
Alegre - http://ahpoa.blogspot.com/ - to find out more about the
distribution of land in the Viamao area and the families that settled there.
Usually the portuguese families that arrived there received land to live
and work on, but first you need to work on finding the names of your
ancestors.

I'm also from Brazil and with family from Azores, mainly Terceira Island.
My blog has several links to research in Brazil, including the link above.
The Biblioteca Nacional  has newspaper from major places in Brazil and they
are online. Also National Archives, in Rio de Janeiro can also be very
useful for your research. They do a great work and had provided me with
several document copies from my family. You can find both links at my blog
http://myportuguesegen.blogspot.com/2011/12/immigration-in-brazil.html

Unfortunately Brazil doesn't have a census like we have in US.

I hope this will help some and anything you can contact me on my private
email. Last but not least, I do speak Portuguese.

Isabella Baltar