Hi Jeff,

Have you looked at the Rio Grande do Sul Catholic Church records on
familysearch?  There are only a few states that have been fully uploaded.
 I've found a lot on my family (including my Azorean ancestors), but we are
from Rio de Janeiro.  I checked and they do have Rio Grande do Sul records
online - both for Viamão and for Osório.  The records typically go to the
late 1800s, at which point the Civil Registry took over from the church.
 Unfortunately, Civil Registries for RS are not yet available online, but
those are easier to find in local town notaries since they're more recent.
 However, if you have an ancestor born in the mid-to-late 1800s that you
know of, that would be the easiest place to start looking.  There are no
indexes available, but if you browse the books in the parish your family
came from, you should be able to find someone that is related.  I've found
that parish records were great at informing the parish where the family
came from in Portugal.  That's how I linked mine back, so hopefully you'll
find a great detailed record.  Here's the link to the two parishes you were
looking at:

Osório:
https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM97B-NYV%3An879109685%3Fcc%3D2177295
Viamão: