I've encountered two other examples of the use of the letter x in the
Azores.  Sometimes, I've seen Sodré spelled Xodré.  I'm not sure why, as
the modern pronunciation is not the SH sound, but perhaps it changed over
time.

The other was a foreign name, Fisher (as in Guilherme Fisher family of
Terceira).  I've seen that name spelled Fixe.

Rodney