From: gfsche...@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 19:13:16 -0800
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Ernesto do Canto Index
To: azores@googlegroups.com

Translation (of sorts),

Ernesto do Canto, Doctor, was born on 12 December 1831 in Prestes on S. Roque
and died on 21 August 1900. He received his bachelor's degree in Philosophy
from the University of Coimbra on 25 July1856, was a corresponding member of
the Royal Academy of Sciences, Lisbon and was in other, both national and
foreign scientific societies. He was distinguished as a scholar, historian and
genealogist, having authored Arquivo dos Açores and other publications of
recognized merit. He was President of the General Board of the District of
Ponta Delgada and one of the most prestigious figures of the Azorean society
during the nineteenth century. He married in the chapel of Nossa Senhora do
Amparo, attached to the house-solar this family in S. Peter Ponta Delgada on 05
May 1859, with his niece, Margarida Leite Canto.

Now that I've kinda fixed the English (what's a house-solar) and fixed his
wife's/niece's name from Daisy Milk Canto back to Margarida Leite Canto (there
are just some things that should never be translated!) I'll share what I know.

I think Canto may have also been involved in politics. I swear I read that
somewhere.  I don't know if he went to the various churches to borrow the books
(this would be the latter 1800s) or had them sent to him.  From the original
books, he created indices of SOME families of SOME freguesias.  Maybe the
families had some prominence, maybe they were important to him.

When was in Ponta Delgada, I looked at Canto's indices and I copied some of
them.  The stuff I copied and typed up in Excel were the families that I was
working on and where no film existed.  The only index I have an entire copy of
is Achada.  I have a hard copy that was photocopied for me and I took it home
and typed it up in Excel.

I asked for the list of Canto's indices.  I typed it up.  So attached is how it
was written by Canto in the order that Canto wrote it down.  The only thing I
could not capture in Word is the bracket { going down the side where he
indicated that this particular group of freguesias was from Ribeira Grande or
Nordeste or whatever.  I used Canto's spellings from the 1880s/90s.  So it is
in "old" Portuguese.

And what you see may not be what you get (if you go there to look at these
indices). Achada says it is for marriages only, from 1695-1729.  Rodrigo
Rodrigues went back through Canto's work and added more families and tried to
clarify what Canto could not read.  The index starts in the 1680s and has more
families than what Canto extracted or considered important (to him) or may be
prominent.

Achada