 Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Ernesto do Canto Index
 To: "Azores Genealogy" <azores@googlegroups.com>
 Date: Saturday, February 1, 2014, 6:46 PM

 HI
 John,

 Great, now
 I'm going to translate Latin!  LOL  And for those who
 are curious, I can "kind of" read a teensy tiny
 bit of Portuguese and get a vague gist of what is going
 on.  So I use an online translator to help me (I used
 Google Translate) and then I go back, sentence by sentence
 to see if makes sense and is grammatically correct in
 English.

 Google Translate has a "Detect
 Language" button.  So I pasted John's "Sic
 transit Gloria mundi!" and let it auto detect.  It
 said it was Albanian and didn't translate it.  Well, it
 said, "Sic transit Gloria beat!"  So I clicked
 the arrow to the right of "Detect Language" and
 found Latin and John said, "Thus passes the Glory of
 the world!"

 John R, I have a couple of
 photocopied pages from a book somewhere.  I haven't
 looked at them in quite a while.  So José do Canto was the
 politician and not Ernesto?  My memory may have morphed
 their occupations together.

 I remember seeing the pink building
 at Furnas.  I didn't know what it was and I didn't
 go over there.  Is the pink manor house falling into ruin
 too, or just the church?

 I knew by the time Ernesto do Canto saw
 the records (1870s/80s/90s) some were lost and some had
 deteriorated.  I'll just use Achada as an example.
 Because that is one of the freguesias that I heavily
 research, I was very familiar with the film and the
 condition of the books.  The books were crumbling.  When
 the Genealogy Society of Utah (GSU, today called Family
 Search) filmed, they literal filmed the fragments.  What I
 was viewing was a fragments from various records. It was
 like a jigsaw puzzle someone needed to put together.  Yet,
 there was Canto's index, making sense of it.  He must
 have attempted to piece it together to create that index.
 And in 1929, Rodrigo Rodrigues did the same thing.  On the
 front (title page) of Canto's index for Achada,
 Rodrigues wrote that he tried to correct and amend to what
 Canto did.  So Rodrigues must have had access to the books
 too and tried to piece those fragments together.  These
 guys tried real hard!!!

 The first book of baptisms for
 Bretanha exists.  I was told it is kept in the current
 priest's bedroom.  Back in my AOL chat days, a man went
 to Bretanha and met with the current priest.  He pulled the
 book out from under his bed and let the man look.  The
 priest told the man that when the government came to
 "steal" the books to create the vital
 records/civil registry, that the priest at the time
 (1910-1911 or so) gave him all the books but kept the
 earliest baptisms.

 I don't know if the story has
 evolved over time.  Maybe the earliest book of baptisms was
 being used or was misplaced when the books were to be turned
 over or sent into the government.  Maybe the priest did
 withhold that one book as a kind of protest.  I understand
 that the way the government went about obtaining the books
 to create the registry system created a lot of ill will.
 Today (over 100 years later) it makes sense to have a
 central registry and have the books in some type of
 protected environment.  Under a bed does not sound like a
 good idea to me.

 As for the man who went to
 Bretanha...you'd have to give me time to think.  The
 only thing my brain is coming up with is Sev..... I think
 that's part of his last name.  And his email had a
 "ix" in it, maybe for Roman numerals? Sometimes
 that math brain in me remembers the weirdest things!  And
 if I find his email, it would be from 15 years ago and is
 probably invalid :(

 Cheri

 On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 6:51
 AM, John Raposo <marra...@yahoo.com>
 wrote:

 Thanks Cheri for providing the
 index. You are right; both Ernesto and José do Canto were
 movers and shakers in latter 19th century

  Azorean society and politics. José do Canto's mansion
 and gardens in Ponta Delgada are now part of the University.
 When you go to Furnas, there is a real gem of a neo-baroque
 church right at the edge of the lake, and next door to a
 pink chalet-manor house. That was José do Canto's
 country estate and the church he had built as a mausauleum
 for himself and his wife. Alas, the church is falling into
 ruin! Sic transit Gloria mundi!

 Ernesto wanted his index as part of the movement to
 establish a civil registry (wich the church resisted). Even
 in his day, many records had already been lost. Take for
 example do Cant's index of Bretanha records which go
 back no further than 1703. Yet, an 18th century vicar in
 Bretanha developed an index of whatever records dating back
 to about 1550 were still in existence. That index is all we
 have left of marriages and births pre 1703 and there are
 many gaps. The early records of Santo António, indexed by
 do Canto, no longer exist. Thank God for his index!

 John

 On Sat, 2/1/14, Cheri Mello
 <gfsche...@gmail.com>

  To: "Azores Genealogy" <azores@googlegroups.com>

  Date: Saturday, February 1, 2014, 3:13 AM

  Translation (of sorts),

  Ernesto do Canto, Doctor,

  was born on 12 December

  1831 in Prestes

  on S. Roque and

  died on 21 August

  1900. He received his

  bachelor's degree in Philosophy from

  the University of

  Coimbra on 25 July1856, was

  a corresponding member of the

  Royal Academy of Sciences,

  Lisbon and was in other,

  both national and foreign

  scientific societies.

  He was distinguished as a scholar,

  historian and

  genealogist, having

  authored Arquivo dos Açores

  and other publications of

  recognized merit. He was

  President of the General Board of

  the District of Ponta

  Delgada and one of the most

  prestigious figures of the

  Azorean society during

  the nineteenth century.

  He married in the

  chapel of Nossa Senhora do

  Amparo, attached to

  the house-solar this family

  in S. Peter Ponta

  Delgada on 05 May

  1859, with his niece,

  Margarida Leite Canto.

  Now that I've kinda fixed the English

  (what's a house-solar) and fixed his

  wife's/niece's name from Daisy Milk Canto back

  Margarida Leite Canto (there are just some things that

  should never be translated!) I'll share what I
 know.

  think Canto may have also been involved in politics. I
 swear

  I read that somewhere.  I don't know if he went to
 the

  various churches to borrow the books (this would be the

  latter 1800s) or had them sent to him.  From the
 original

  books, he created indices of SOME families of SOME

  freguesias.  Maybe the families had some prominence,
 maybe

  they were important to him.

  When was in Ponta Delgada, I looked at

  Canto's indices and I copied some of them.  The stuff

  copied and typed up in Excel were the families that I
 was

  working on and where no film existed.  The only index

  have an entire copy of is Achada.  I have a hard copy
 that

  was photocopied for me and I took it home and typed it up
 in

  Excel.

  I asked for the list of Canto's

  indices.  I typed it up.  So attached is how it was

  written by Canto in the order that Canto wrote it
 down.

  The only thing I could not capture in Word is the bracket
 {

  going down the side where he indicated that this
 particular

  group of freguesias was from Ribeira Grande or Nordeste
 or

  whatever.  I used Canto's spellings from the

  1880s/90s.  So it is in "old" Portuguese.

  And what you see may not be what you get (if

  you go there to look at these indices). Achada says it
 is

  for marriages only, from 1695-1729.  Rodrigo Rodrigues
 went

  back through Canto's work and added more families
 and

  tried to clarify what Canto could not read.  The index

  starts in the 1680s and has more families than what
 Canto

  extracted or considered important (to him) or may be

  prominent.

  Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira

  Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

  --

  For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged,
 or

  No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account
 and

  visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.

   Click in the blue area on the right that says
 "Join

  this group" and it will take you to "Edit my

  membership."

 the

  Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.

 emails

  from it, send an email to

  azores+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

  To post to this group, send email to

  azores@googlegroups.com.

 For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or
 No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and
 visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.
  Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join
 this group" and it will take you to "Edit my
 membership."

 Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.

 from it, send an email to azores+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

 Cheri