I'm going off of what Joseph said.  And in my research in Vila Franca, when
they said Maia, it meant the one on Sao Miguel.  I haven't seen records in
Vila Franca where they reiterate Sao Miguel island over and over.  They
weren't that worldly in the 1840s. They way that Joseph wrote what he found
in the record and his original query was to look for records in Portugal on
the continent.  So I told him where to look.  Could he be looking in the
wrong place?  Maybe.  But he wants to look there.  So he can look.  He
wanted to know of a database on the continent and I directed him there.  He
will look and evaluate his evidence and go from there.

I think I should close this thread.  Joseph's question has been answered
for the time being and if he wants more help, he will post later.  None of
this is helping him in his search.

Achada