I would like to be the voice of my 3rd great grandfather, Francisco
Ferreira Drummond, on the use of “Dona” in Portugal and Azores until the
XVIII century.

On the first volume of his Annaes da Ilha Terceira, on page 19, note n. 5,
he writes:

 “…signal d’estima, que antigamente só era concedido pelos Reis a seus
descendentes, e aos ricos homens....”

In other words: a tribute of respect, in ancient times, given only by the
Kings to his descendants, and to the rich man.

He also says:

“Que diremos hoje à liberdade, e à lisonja com que este appellido se
dá.....”

Here we can see how the use of “Dona” became common at his time – he wrote
this around 1830.

Besides what he wrote, I can only confirm what others already mentioned. In
Portugal, Azores and Brasil, Dona or Senhora, is a respectful and common
way to talk to someone older than you.  The same doesn't apply to Dom, the
old title given to a noble, rich man, this one is out of use in our days.
Senhor is the correct and respectful choice one can use.

 Isabella Baltar

myportuguesegen.blogspot.com