Good Morning Patricia,

In order to have an mtDna match that is genealogically significant you
would need to upgrade to Full Sequence even then you could only verify
whether the match is  is more recent or distant through comparison of
genealogical records an HRV1 match has a 50% chance of being within the
last 1,300 years however reviewing your matches at this level will give you
anthropological insight on your mother in laws ancestry. MtDna haplogroup J
mutation is believed to have come from a woman that lived in the Near East
or Caucasus region 45,000 years ago and is equally frequent in
Europe(particularly norther Europe)  and the Middle East. This Ftdna link
clarifies matching
levels.https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/mtdna-testing/tell-closeness-relationship/

It is also interesting that I match your husband's mother on family finder
and have no recorded genealogical ancestors from Sao Miguel.

Antonio