Only Ancestry.com will be discontinuing the Y-DNA and mtDNA test.  Family
Tree DNA will continue to sell them.  I think Ancestry will be moving in
another direction.

The Y-DNA and mtDNA tests are for those who need a specific line tested.
It is much easier to work with if the surname traditions were as they are
today.  I do run a couple of other projects that are surname based.  We use
the Y-DNA testing and have been successful.  It doesn't work that way in
the Azores (or Madeira or Cape Verde or some Scandinavian countries).
It'll take a while to get a descendant from each man who settled the Azores
islands.  When we accomplish that, the Y-DNA testing will be really good.
But in the meantime, we put our Y DNA out there and play wait and see, and
go play with Family Finder.

Back in 2000, the Y-DNA 12 and basic mtDNA was all that there was.  FTDNA
has kept those products as an entry into DNA for those on a budget (they
can upgrade later) or as a way to disprove lineage (Megan Smolenyak (author
of Trace Your Roots) is married to a Smolenyak.  Both Smolenyaks were in
the same village in Europe.  Megan's brother took a test and her husband
took a test and no, they are not related, even on the 12 marker).

Ancestry never offered a level of Y-DNA markers to make a genealogical
match.  Nor did they offer the Full Sequence mtDNA test.  The only company
that offers the Full mtDNA is FTDNA.

And on the Y-DNA front, they (FTDNA) are up to 111 markers!  It's crazy
that people need that many, but they do.  I've been to the DNA conferences
in Houston.  A few years ago they asked how people were doing with the 67
markers and some project admins were having a hard time splitting apart
families (think the Anderson, Smith, etc).  The following year, they came
back and said that they were working on more.  Maybe the year after they
said that they thought they'd have 90ish markers, but not to say anything
until their research was done.  Then they came out with 111.

I know that FTDNA will be working on Gedcoms.  Let me share your idea with
them.

Achada