Hi to all,

“Brick Walls can be smashed if we are patient and never give in to defeat.” I
have always believed this to be true.

My paternal grandfather and the complexity of his name has finally been
unraveled and proven. For my cousins who may be interested, he has been known
by family as FRANCISCO PEREIRA AVILA and I have spent many years communicating
with any relative or person I could find on this subject. Not to bore others on
this list I will cut to the quick. I now know that he is Francisco Luis Pereira
born 09 Dec 1855 in Nossa Senhora da Graca, Almoxarife, Faial. This is the way
he is recorded on the University of Minho web site as well as the CCA site. The
process of research coming to this conclusion now seems simple and clear, but
that would be Monday morning quarterbacking. He had a son named Jose Lopes
Vargas by his first wife, Maria do Ceu Lopes along with eight other children,
who was born in Almoxarife on 09 Jul 1884. None of Jose Lopes Vargas name
combinations using mother or father’s names produced results. Finally I
searched for only the name Jose, and found the correct matching date of birth,
from the right area. This now connected the right parents to him; Francisco
Luis Pereira and Maria do Ceu Lopes. I was still lost since his father did not
have the Avila name. I next researched the marriage record for Francisco Luis
Pereira and Maria do Ceu Lopes. It again listed his name as Francisco Luis
Pereira Junior and his father was recorded as being Francisco Luis Pereira. I
now decided to see if Jose Lopes Vargas Junior had a recorded record of
marriage. I knew that he married a Maria Laura Serpa about 1907. I did find
their recorded marriage of 26 Oct 1907 in Nossa Senhora da Conceicao, Horta,
Faial. BINGO!!! On this record of marriage it had his father now recorded as
Francisco Luis Pereira Avellar . My father and his siblings as well as his half
siblings pronounced the name “AVELAR”, but said it was spelled AVILA. Well, go
figure that one out, and I finally did!!

On our DNA site I have updated my family Tree, and those who are interested may
want to re check it out. Also, please remember to update the fact that we are
related. I have a few pending which need action.

I hope this is of value to others.

Emil