Isabella;  Thank you for your response and explanations to my questions.
Apparently, I have some female ancestors who were highly respected….

I did not know there were strict rules set forth for the structure of the
baptism records.  As you say, the priest must have simply forgot to enter the
surname of the father in some instances.  Odd.

I understand the use of “devotional” names, I just thought it odd that a few of
the mothers and/or godmothers would have their surnames listed and others would
not.

I guess this priest was simply erratic in his recordings of baptisms.

Thank you for your insights and explanations, Sam in NC

Sent from Windows Mail

google.com/group/azores.