Erin S,

I would guess 90% of this list does not speak Portuguese.  But I would
guess that over half can "read" a document and extract the necessary
information out of it.

You're going to need to census work, obituary work, naturalization work,
etc to find the freguesia (village) of your ancestors on Sao Miguel.  You
can get ideas from this "how to" here: http://goo.gl/M1bZKo

As for the 2 that you have, you'll have to narrow down Maria Melo born 1902
in Vila Franca.  You'll need her parents' names and then you can search
both churches there.  As for Manuel born 1900 in Ribeira Quente, I need
more info.  I'm related to most of Ribeira Quente.  I found a Manuel born
to a man named Manuel Furtado Caetano, but I need your Manuel's birth date
or his parents' names to confirm.  It's #53 on the right:
http://goo.gl/sWnEZD

Achada