J BC,

All of Europe is organized on the town level.  So, for the Azores, you need
the village, or freguesia, so a little bit more than Sao Jorge.

There's a "how to" guide here on the Azores: http://goo.gl/LZN1yw

You could also search each freguesia for your Jose born to a Jose Manoel
Machado Cardoza and Maria Joaquina on or about the 27 Dec 1871.  But since
many of our ancestors from that time period weren't entirely accurate with
their birth dates, you're better off trying out some of the tips in the
"how to" guide (naturalizations, census, etc).

Achada