Repost for George Medeiros, migueldeavery at gmail.com

I have some information on my Pereira and Medeiros Relatives in Newport,
R.I. My Great Grand parents are Jose 'd' Araujo Pereira and Pulcina dos
Aujos Pereira. My Grandmother is Virginia Amelia Pereira Medeiros wife of
Jose ( Joseph) C. Medeiros.  Vivo Virginia was born 1890 in Candelaria on
Sao Miguel Island, Acores. She married my Grandfather Jose C. Medeiros
on Jan. 26, 1907 at Igreja de Nossa Senhora do  Rozario in Providence, R.I.
On the marriage certificate it says that my Grandfather's parents are
Francisco Medeiros and Maria de Jesus Cordeiro. The priest was Antonio M.
Serpia (?) and witnesses are Manuel Silva and Maria Cordeiro or Cordeira
handwriting not clear.I know nothing about my Grandfather's family since he
died before I was born but I do have an idea were he is buried ( I have a
document).

    I grew up around my Father's Medeiros siblings families and Pereira/
Pignatelli cousins.When my Vivo Virginia died on Feb.26,1971 in the death
notice it stated she had a brother Antonio Araujo Pereira still living in
the Azores. I often visited my Vovo and she would show me pictures of
relatives in the Azores.Often she spoke little English and how we
communicated I can't recall because I can't speak Portuguese.However, my
aunts and uncles spoke a Portuguese slang and when we all got together the
conversations were in Portuguese and English when in my Vovo's home.

    When my father passed away in 2004 I found some original documents he
had which I photo copied on her.My Grandparents had nine children all of
whom I knew. My father                   George M.Medeiros Sr. was the
youngest. My grandfather Jose died when my father was about 6 months old.
After that my Grandmother at some point moved to Newport, R.I.and my Aunt
Pauline Medeiros Mattos and her husband Joe Mattos moved into my
Grandparents home on Fox Point in Providence,R.I.

    My Dad and some of his siblings grew up at the Beakhurst House on
Coggshall Ave.which was owned by my Great Uncle Leonardo Pignatelli who was
the husband of my Grandmother's sister Theresa (Pereira)Pignatelli .Uncle
Leo worked for the wealthy in Newport. I think he had a gardener's
business.The family home were my Dad grew up was surrounded by the stables
of the wealthy. The story goes that Uncle Leo purchased the three story
house from some wealthy family he worked for on Bellevue Ave. and moved the
house from Bellevue Ave to Coggshall Ave. When I was a child my
Pereira/Pignatelli cousins lived in the house which was very large. It had
been divided into 3 apartments for my Grandmother's family, Aunt Theresa
and Uncle Leo's family and I understand my Grandmother's sister Stella
Pereira ? family whose married name I don't know. My Grandmother's two
sisters married Italian men. Little was ever said about Aunt Stella by the
time I was born. The story goes that her husband was in the Italian Mafia
and when she died he wasn't around and her daughter Rose was adopted by
Uncle Leo and Aunt Theresa
Pignatelli.

     When my Dad and some of his siblings and cousins lived at Beakhurst
House they were mostly surrounded by the stables of the rich who had homes
on Bellevue Ave. When I was a child I would hear them all recounting the
stories of their childhood. Also as a child I would stay at the house with
my cousins on overnight visits.

     My Dad was quite a horseman and at a young age about 11 he started
working for Mr. Prince who at that time owned the Marble House on Bellevue
Ave. Mr. Prince had his stables on Coggshall Ave. I have pictures of my Dad
at about 12 riding with a man who was a champion rider. When his siblings
were around they would tell stories about their time living at Beakhurst
House.I found out that my Dad would ride with the wives and visitors of the
wealthy. Also exercise the horses. He had ridden as a child with the
Duchess of Windsor who King Edward gave up the thrown to marry. They often
visited Newport and there is a dog cemetery in Portsmouth,R.I. were one of
their dogs is buried who died when they were visiting Newport.

    I come from a very large family and many of my relatives still live
mainly  in Newport,R.I. and in Mass. and other areas of R.I., California,
along East Coast of U.S. I am trying to get more information about my
Grandfather's family the Medeiros' and my Grandmother's Pereira brothers.
I do know that my Grandmother had two brothers living in Newport but we
didn't have much contact as children with those cousins. I do know that one
of my Great Uncle's changed his name from Pereira to Perry. John Perry was
a fireman with my Dad on the Newport Fire Dept and he is either the son or
grandson of my Grandmother's brother. George