I've never seen a death record mention both wives. I've only seen it
mention the marriage to the current wife. So I'd be looking for her.

Since NEPS says he died in Cedros and gives a date, I went to the CCA and
found this (Upper left):
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/FAL-HT-CEDROS-O-1845-1860/FAL-HT-CEDROS-O-1845-1860_item1/P88.html

It says he was married to Maria Tomasia.

You need to figure out if this Francisco Leal da Costa is yours and if he
was indeed married twice.

My strategy: See if you can find the marriage of your FLdC & wife 2. That
would state Franco is a widower. If you can't find  it, I'd stay in Praia
do Norte, collect ALL the kids of your FLdC & wife Maria Felecia. If you
wind up having your Franco. & wife 1 having kids while Franco. & wife 2 are
having kids, you probably have 2 different Francos. And if that overlap
doesn't happen, then find all the marriages of the kids of Franco & Ma.
Felicia. One of the marriages may say that Franco is alive but mom is dead.
That's a good clue that your Franco went over and married wife 2.

Cheri

Achada