Thanks so much for your reply JR.  I can see it that way too.  I will check
the other records...

...hmm, and I'm back... here's a record written two years later by the same
priest, Lourenco Gomes:

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/TER-AH-DOZERIBEIRAS-C-1694-1737/TER-AH-DOZERIBEIRAS-C-1694-1737_item1/P103.html

In this case, the groom (again named for his father) is listed in the
Marriage Index as Manuel Martins.  To my eye, the abbreviation used by the
priest again looks like Miz, accented.  I think it is the same abbreviation
as in the first record I linked to.

There are several examples of the abbreviation in this second record.  If
you wouldn't mind having a look at them, I'd be much obliged.

thanks again,

Linda