The Roman Catholic  Church has hundreds of Canon laws and Canon lawyers. Like
the secular legal system not all laws are understood clearly and when there are
questions about what one can and can not do within the legal system one
contacts a lawyer. When in question, if I understand it correctly, most clerics
are not  church lawyers and they would pose their questions to the Bishop's
Office and  Canon lawyers may or may not be consulted.

The question about Canon law in 1600's is a good one and we do have to be
careful about applying today's standards to a earlier time. Just in the last 50
years the Catholic Church has made many changes, like for example allowing
annulments in marriage,and just look at what Pope Francis is trying to get the
Cardinals and Bishops to look at in regards to contemporary social issues like
divorce and remarriage. Some issues are left to the  judgement of the local
pastor who has the job of listening to each person's individual situation. Thus
I am sure those of us from a catholic background have seen different decisions
made in regards to similar situations. George

Sent from my iPad