Hi,

I have two different results from two sources of Portuguese name lists for
the abbreviation “Miz.” One list says it is “Martins” and one says “Moniz.”
Anybody know which one is correct? The University of Minho database shows it
as “Moniz” in one record and “Martins” in the other. Here is the example
below.

António Maria Vieira Bezerra

Born - São Roque do Pico

Parents

    João Vieira

    Isabel Moniz

Marriages and children

    Married on 17 January 1598 to Bárbara Manuel, with

        Maria João 1598

        João Vieira 1599

        Filipe ? 1602

        Roque ? 1604

        Francisco ? 1607

        Susana Manuel 1610

        Bárbara Manuel 1613

        Águeda ? 1615

        Isabel Martins Maciel 1616

In the CCA marriage record for Antonio Maria Vieira to Barbara Manuel, the
mother’s name is shown as “Izabel Miz” (
<http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/PIC-SR-SAOROQUE-C-1593
-1675/PIC-SR-SAOROQUE-C-1593-1675_item1/P8.html>
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/PIC-SR-SAOROQUE-C-1593-
1675/PIC-SR-SAOROQUE-C-1593-1675_item1/P8.html , top left) and in the
marriage record for the daughter of Antonio and Barbara, Isabel Martins
Maciel is shown in the marriage record (
<http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/PIC-SR-SAOROQUE-C-1593
-1675/PIC-SR-SAOROQUE-C-1593-1675_item1/P200.html>
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/PIC-SR-SAOROQUE-C-1593-
1675/PIC-SR-SAOROQUE-C-1593-1675_item1/P200.html , bottom record) as “Izabel
Miz Maciel.”

Any suggestions?

Diane George