"The "Império" of the the seafarers of the Parish of Santa Cruz, concelho of
Praia da Vitória, Terceira, is located in the Largo José Silvestre Ribeiro,
where there once stood the Chapel of São Pedro Gonçalves, and the date of its
construction goes back to the last quarter of the 19th century, to the year
1877.
This brotherhood celebrates the feast in honor of the Holy Spirit on the so
called Trinity Sunday.

The "Império dos Marítimos" contains statues and is in the form of a chapel.
Due to the small number of members and the existing difficulties, this
brotherhood does not have the means to provide for the cultural activities
during the festival week. Bur, on Trinity Sunday, there is the procession of
the Holy Spirit, with a band, down to the church, where the feast day Mass is
celebrated, at the end of which there are the coronations. On this day the
drawings are held and next year's festival commission is named.
As part of the festivities of this "imperio" on the following Saturday there is
the roped bullfights."
Without my trusty dictionaries handy, this is the best I could do.
John Miranda Raposo

    On Thursday, July 21, 2016 12:26 PM, Cheri Mello <gfsche...@gmail.com>