Hi Celeste,

I have this family on my tree as they are related to me.  There are more
then one Serafim de Morais and Joao de Morais.  One family is from Agua de
Pau and the other from Santa Barbara.  They are cousins.

Serafim had two older sisters, born in 1868 and 1873. The latter was
deceased same year, and the first I don't have the obit. I have 9 children
for Joao de Morais (from Agua de Pau) married to Jacinta Libania in Santa
Barbara of Ribeira Grande.

Serafim's brother Jose, married in Relva, Ponta Delgada.

Please refer to the emails we exchanged back in November 2015.

Regarding Maria, I sent you all the documents proof from ancestry and
passports.
Maria arrived and travelled with Serafim.
On the manifest he declares they are his nieces.
Maria de Morais, Luzia and Rosa clearly stated along with their ages..
He also declared he was going to his cousin Joao do Couto Cordeiro? can't
be sure as they wrote over it, the address was 368 Hope Street, Bristol,
RI.
The reason you couldn't find Maria's birth record was because you were
looking for the wrong parents.
The passports give parents as Jacinto de Medeiros not Joao de Morais and as
such I sent you the birth record for the said Maria de Morais who arrived
with Serafim in 1904.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 10:19 PM, 'celeste perry' via Azores Genealogy <
azores@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Actually, Cheri, I have only looked up to the date the father, Joao
> Moraes, died.  I also looked for some kind of will and there was none.  I
> did not find that they owned any land so I tend to think they did not have
> any wealth.  Also, all the kids of the family that survived immigrated to
> RI.  If they had owned land, possibly one have remained there.
>
> Jose's great-grand son, Dicky Cabral, (if I remember correctly) that his
> Jose was born in Lomba da Santa Barbara.  I have not communicated with him
> for a number of years.  One thing he wrote to me a while ago was that is a
> possibility that the place of her birth MAY have been written in the margin
> of her marriage record.  When I asked for a copy, I was send a form that
> was filled out by someone at the church.
>
> I have to wait until I make another trip to RI to beg someone in the
> church to look at the record to see if something is written in the margin
> and was not written on the form I was sent.  Hope my health and Bob's
> allows us to make that trip soon.
>
> My thought in bringing this up on the list again was that there are a lot
> of new members and someone just MIGHT find a relative that has the name
> Jacintha Libiana and I could gather more information that can lead me to
> finding if the "Elusive Maria Christo" was biologically connected to the
> family she thught was hers.
>
> Thank you for all the thoughts, every little thing helps.
> Celeste Perry ccgran...@yahoo.com

> On Fri, 8/5/16, Cheri Mello <gfsche...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] The elusive Maria Christo
>  To: "Azores Genealogy" <azores@googlegroups.com>
>  Date: Friday, August 5, 2016, 3:40 PM
>
>  Hi Celeste,
>  Lomba da Santa Barbara in Ribeira Grande
>  is here: http://tombo.pt/f/rbg12
>
>  I'm guessing
>  you've already looked? I know I had one ancestor that
>  wasn't baptized until a month before his marriage, 25
>  years later. I've also seen a few baptisms where they
>  baptized the child 2, 3, 4 years later. Rather unusual, but
>  it happened. Maybe there was an illness in the family and
>  they had themselves quarantined or maybe they were in the
>  middle of harvest and didn't get to the church for a
>  couple years (when they had their next kid).
>
>  Where did the
>  great-grandson of Jose think his ancestors were from?
>
>  Also, you
>  could have your husband DNA test, the great-grandson of Jose
>  test, and anyone you know who is a descendant of Seraphim
>  test. It's on sale. You all should match each other and
>  should match others of the Ribeira Grande region - unless
>  you're not from Lomba da Santa Barbara. There's a
>  Santa Barbara in Ponta Delgada, but it makes no sense to add
>  on "Lomba da" and specify that freguesia if one
>  was from the other one.
>
>  Cheri
>

>  --
>
>  For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or
> [...]

Margaret M Vicente