Hello all,

I've been buried in the confessional rolls of Graciosa trying to find my
ancestors Manual Machado (b.abt.1805), his son Francisco Machado, and his
son Jacintho Machado but last names are not often used. For example, the
following document seems like it could be my Manuel Machado and two
children I wasn't aware he had, but his name is abbreviated. I saw "Maxado"
spelled out on another page and yes, I know that the 'X' is used in place
of the 'ch' but I wonder why they abbreviate it some places and not others
and if anyone has a key to these abbreviations.

The example I'm asking about is in the lower right of this page:

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/GRA-SC-SAOMATEUS-S-1867-1869/GRA-SC-SAOMATEUS-S-1867-1869_item1/P73.html

Many thanks!

Christian