Carolyn,

If you ordered at AncestryDNA, then there is only one testing option. It is
autosomal DNA. Your brother would not give you "better" results. You and
your brother (and any other siblings) inherited half of your mom's DNA and
half of your dad's DNA. You did NOT inherit the exact same 50% however.
It's good to test ALL siblings however, as it gives a clearer picture of
the DNA. So whoever told you that your brother gives you "better" results
was wrong.

A male can have a DIFFERENT test run as they have a Y chromosome and women
do not. The only company that does this test is Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) and
you would want a Y-DNA 37 or 67 marker test to put you into a genealogy
time frame. I know you said your brother is no longer with us, but I'm
giving more information to the reading audience.

If you have no specific genealogy goal in mind but would like to get into
DNA testing, then order the Family Finder test. This will cover ALL lines
going back about 200 years from the birth of the testee. If there is an
older aunt or uncle (or for the younger members of our reading audience -
parents or grandparents), test them first. Someone born in the 1920s has
DNA in them that takes us back to the 1720s. Test the oldest family member.

We will also want to test as many family members as possible. Genetic
genealogists have found that families of 5 or more siblings who have all
tested can get a complete picture of all 4 of their grandparents' DNA. Not
everyone comes from a family of 5. My dad is an only child. So the next
step is to test as many 1st and 2nd cousins as possible to get the best
picture possible. Think of it like this: A jigsaw puzzle of Charlie Brown
and Snoopy next to the red dog house. Will I get all the jigsaw puzzle
piece? No, my dad is an only child. And for his Portuguese 1st cousins, he
has only 2 and one is deceased. I will have to go further out to 2nd cousin
and I won't ever have a completed jigsaw puzzle, but I'll probably be able
to tell it's Charlie Brown and Snoopy next to the red dog house even though
I'm missing some pieces.

Let me know if you have further questions. Cheri

Achada