Jeremy,
There is no emigration OUT of the U.S. I don't believe there's anything
going INTO the Azores (you should state Azores as many are researching the
Hawaiian islands too).

You don't give a date for his American passport. In the U.S. there's film
up to 1925 and then you have to write to the passport office for after
1925. You MUST include his death certificate. Here's the information from
the Azores GenWeb. I haven't had to write for someone's passport for a long
time, so no guarantee the URL will work. It's halfway down, item 5:
https://goo.gl/uJMvDh

Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 9:57 PM, 'Jeremy G. B-C - Researching: Sao Jorge &
Pico' via Azores Genealogy <azores@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a great uncle who came to this country in 1899 or 1900. I find no
> passport on Terceira, nor on Horta, but that's not the issue I'm having.  I
> know he had a daughter born in 1899 in the Islands to his wife Maria. He
> was in California for the 1910 cencus, and I believe he probably went back
> home soon thereafter.  While he was here, he was naturalized.  So he ended
> up dying at home in Faja dos Cubres (Ribeira Seca) on Sao Jorge in 1933.
> Daughter is still living and had married, and his wife is completely
> different so im sure the first wife died.
>
> I am trying to figure out when he DEPARTED and arrived in the Islands.. a
> reverse of the usual. Unfortunately even though I have his departmental
> passport number, they (the gov) refuse to service my request for copies
> since it was from the late twenties (just a few thousand after what
> ancestry has) and apparently just within privacy laws. They told me it
> won't be available for some time, and I can't get copies unless I am the
> person named on the passport. (Real intellectually since he was born in
> 1879 and died over 80 years ago).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I may find the date he
> arrived in the azores?
>
> If anyone has anything on a Paula Munoz in their databases please let me
> know (with such a unique name). She was the second wife who id love to know
> of.  His name was Antonio Machado Cardoza. The daughter was Maria who
> married a man named Costa and moved to the village of Calheta.
>

> Thanks!!!!
>
> Jeremy

  • [... 'Jeremy G. B-C - Researching: Sao Jorge & Pico' via Azores Genealogy
    • ... Cheri Mello
    • ... Rosemarie Capodicci
      • ... 'Jeremy G. B-C - Researching: Sao Jorge & Pico' via Azores Genealogy
        • ... Cheri Mello
          • ... 'Jeremy G. B-C' via Azores Genealogy
    • ... 'Jeremy G. B-C' via Azores Genealogy
      • ... Rosemarie Capodicci
      • ... "E" Sharp
        • ... Marilyn Thompson