Maria, I would say as a general rule that Antonio is abbreviated often but
Antao is not at all. I don't think in all of my research that I've ever see
Antao abbreviated.

Rosemarie
rcap...@gmail.com
Researching Sao Jorge, Terceira, Graciosa, Faial and Pico, Azores,
Isola delle Femmine, Sant' Elia, Sicily