California births began in 1905, but they took about 15 years to be in
compliance.
A variety of CA Birth Indices can be found on the FamilySearch Wiki here:
https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/How_to_Find_California_Birth_Records

I'd try the 3rd one. My dad is misindexed and some of the searches don't
use Soundex. The 3rd one uses Soundex on the last name (picks up Gomes and
Gomez). And if you still don't find him, it probably wasn't filed. If he
didn't have one, but received Social Security, he may have filed a Delayed
Certificate of Birth in the 1930s. And do as Rosemarie suggested and try
for the church baptism.

On the one with the date discrepancy, go with the WWI Draft date first. He
was the one who gave the info to the Draft board. He did not supply his
birth date on the death certificate because he was already dead. His son,
who may have been upset at the death, may not have been thinking clearly
and goofed. Or really didn't know. But I'd make the WWI Draft his main
birth date and keep the other one as secondary until you figure out
otherwise.

Cheri

Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada