Gordon,
Roman Catholics believe that the sentences of souls to purgatory can be
shortened by Masses arranged to be offered on their behalf as well as good
works (corporal and spiritual works of mercy) done on their behalf. I do not
think there is another way of explaining it. So, if your father dies,
recognizing that he was not perfect and that his soul might be languishing in
purgatory waiting for release, you might arrange for Masses to be offered for
his release from purgatory and you might feed the poor, clothe the naked, give
drink to the thirsty, care for the sick, give shelter to the homeless, etc,
etc, etc, on his behalf in order to shorten his stay in purgatory.
John Miranda Raposo

    On Sunday, March 5, 2017 6:45 PM, Gordon Soares <gs...@centurylink.net>