I've just recently started researching my families genealogy. Most lineages
I can trace back pretty far, but my father's maternal line stops at my 2nd
great-grandparents who are from San Miguel Island, Azores, Portugal. I have
a decent amount of information but lack the know-how and skills to really
know what to do next. I would love to get the names of my 3rd
great-grandparents. My 2nd great-grandparents are Theresa Soares Menezes
(Soares is her married Surname I do believe), I've seen she signed her name
as Thereza J. Menezes as well, she is also known as Maria Theresa Soares
and was born January 1, 1883, on San Miguel Island, Azores, Portugal. Her
husband was Manuel Soares Menezes born about June 1875 on San Miguel Island
as well. They were married on that island at about 1897. They had 4 kids
born in San Miguel; Mary Theresa Soares, Antone Soares, Constance Soares,
and Minnie Soares (my great-grandmother). They then immigrated to Honolulu
on the S.S. Swanley and arrived on December 14th, 1909. They had 2 more
children in Hawaii; Evelyn and Ann Soares. They then moved to California
and had one more child John Soares. They continued living in San Jose,
Santa Clara County, California until they both passed away. I only have the
date of Theresa Soares death and not Manuel's. Is there any way to find the
names of either of their parents? I have 2 sources claiming the surnames
Fernandez (Theresa's father) and Jesus (Theresa's mother, though I know
this is likely a religious name and not a surname), I have no information
for Manuel's parents.
Thank you!
-Staci Narducci