Christine,

The Dukes of Braganca were (in the 19th century) the oldest son of the King,
and heirs to the Portuguese throne. They are historical figures and their
history is well known. Their family name in the time of your ancestors was
Saxe-Coburgo-Gotha, the name they got when D. Maria II (reigned: 1826-1853)
married (1836) Fernando de Saxe Coburgo, but the dynasty was the 2nd Braganca
dynasty. There is no Raposo married to a Braganca in the extensive genealogies
of the Bragancas, not even among illegitimate descendants. Had your grandmother
been a blood relative of the Bragancas living in the Azores, her existence and
lineage would have been well known and documented. In addition there is an
excellent book (Mendes, António Ornelas and JorgeForjaz, ombo Heràldico dos
Açores:Cartas de Brasão de Armas. Caixa Económica daMisericórdia, Angra do
Heroísmo: 2014.) which lists every single coat-of-arms that was ever granted to
a resident of the Azores and your grandmother is not there.

We all have these legends in our families, myself included. There are many
Azoreans who can legitimately trace their lineage back to a Portuguese King,
usually Fernando I or Afonso III. Closer claims (I remember one lady on this
list who claimed that her grandmother was the sister of D. Amelia, last queen
of Portugal, but such claims are easily dismissed) are rare and difficult to
prove.
I hope that you can trace down your ancestors. It may be that they are
descendants of Afonso III but a more recent connection is unlikely and will be
very difficult to document.
Let me know if I can help.
John Miranda Raposo

    On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 12:45 PM, Reposo De Costa