*Marsha,*

*I think the word you're looking for is rosquilha which is defined as
"cake" but was a ring shaped loaf of "massa sovada" which we called "sweet
bread" or pao de ovo (literally "egg bread"). My reference is the Alvaro
Franco DICCIONARIO Ingles-Portugues Portgues-Ingles, Published 1939, Porto
Alegre, Brasil. My mother, born on Flores, Azores would knead the dough *

*and on a greased baking sheet and would fashion a ring shaped loaf around
an inverted bowel, cover it with a blanket next to a heater (this was
usually done in the winter) and allow it to rise before putting it in the
oven. The bowel was removed before baking.*

*John Vasconcelos. *