If you want to standardize names, then it should be Velho, as Velha is the
feminine application. Today, except for names which are inherently
feminine, like Rosa on the Island Faial, only one version is used and it is
Velho. In their time, Maria and Barbara used Velha. It is up to you how you
want to log this information so long as you record the the correct
historical spelling somewhere in your notes.

JR