It really depends on the Island, John. On Sao Jorge, for some odd reason,
the priests abbreviated Dias! Seems crazy that they would but we all need
to be really careful with the abbreviations and try to find the couple on
multiple documents to finally find the 'true' name written out. On Sao
Miguel, Diz is Dinis and possible on Terceira too but Dinis is not a common
name on Sao Jorge so more research is needed. I always try to find other
baptisms, hopefully, written in another hand to see if I'm correct on my
original translation! Just more and more research! LOL

Rosemarie
rcap...@gmail.com
Researching Sao Jorge, Terceira, Graciosa, Faial and Pico, Azores,
Isola delle Femmine, Sant' Elia, Sicily