The spelling of names in the past is always a challenge, especially with
varying degrees of literacy and the near-absence of widespread
communication that could help form standards as with Maria, João, José,
Manuel, António, and so on. So many other names have variant spellings
because of the use of spelling as something sounded, based on the local
pronunciation.

Here on Pico, the "standard" spelling is Laureano. Many years ago, a
well-known resident in Terra Alta, Santo Amaro had a near-mythic place in
the minds of residents. His "fame" caught the attention of Vitorino
Nemesio, who included a mention of Laureano in *Mau Tempo do Canal.* |A
copy of the page from the book was made into an azulejo decoration for the
ferry terminal in Horta (and it was moved from the old terminal to the new
building).

I was delighted to see the azulejo and a written spelling of the name
because I now live on the property of Laureano's home as an adult, when he
gained his "fame." The house was a ruin that posed danger so we rebuilt it
to last another few hundred years. In the clearing, we found a few
"artifacts" in the ruin, including the ink bottle he used with his writing
to judges in São Roque, who valued his opinions based on his voluminous
reading. We restored the ruin to its original appearance and named it "Casa
do Laueano," much to the delight of several older residents, one of whom
had tears in her eyes when she first saw the restored building.

Tomás Leal