To some extent, what Ángela Loura points out is made even more difficult by
the *acordo* from the 1990s by which the Portuguese-speaking world
agreed--to varying degrees--on standardizing spellings going forward, based
on how they were actually being said. For example, many words that had "ct"
in them, such as "projecto" changed to show how they were being pronounced:
"projeto." (If only English did the same!) Thus, "Baptista" is now spelled
"Batista." However, when doing genealogy, we strive to stay with the
spellings as they actually appear on documents. For example, my
great-grandmother's name appears as "Francesca" despite the fact that the
only spelling I've seen--including for her own daughter--is "Francisca."

Then we have to factor in human error, as in the priest performing the
baptism and not paying closer attention to what he's actually writing or
the peasant pronouncing a name in such a way that the person writing it
hears something else.

Tomás Leal