Mike,

Although this may not address your question, York University, and the
University of Toronto have conducted a studies on the islands you may find
some answers here, have a look.

http://www.yorku.ca/ccars/files/history/AzoresNineislandsOneHistory.pdf

Here's a small portion about the island of Pico:

" The highest percentage ofJewish'lgenes is found in the Central group
ofislands. The settlement of Pico may explain this, for the presence of
Jews in the ilha montanha [mountain island] goes back to 1503.39 This
presence reflects the fact that, in ~496, King Manuel I of Portugal
expelled all Jewish families who had not conVerted to Catholicism. At this
time, the Azores would have been an attractive de~tin1!tion for three
reasons: the archipelago was distant from the mainland; royal authority was
virtually nonexistent, which meant that Jewish exiles could'fuaintain their
religion; and the islands offered the possibility of developing commercial,
fmancial and industrial activities. Such activities did in fact happen, not
so much on Pico, but on Sao Miguel and Terceira."

Best,
Margaret

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 1:14 AM, Mickey Blue <michaelsemm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Cheri, thanks again for your help. You always seem to know the right
> answer or where to look. I have just discovered a couple of books I'm
> trying to get from Amazon on the subject too. As you have mentioned, it
> seems any big social changes happened after or around 1900. I think the
> world was possibly getting new social mores and of course, universal
> education was changing lives and opening new horizons for working people.
>
> I would love to visit one day, but I think that may be a year or two off
> yet.
>
> If anyone elso has more information I would appreciate all you might know
> or where to find out. Are there Universities which might specalise in
> studies of Azores, history and customs of the early 1800s, does anyone know?
>
> Thank again.
>
> Warm regards
> Mike

Margaret M Vicente