If the destination says "BRAZIL" then does that mean the person had to actually
leave for BRAZIL?   Was it customary to say you wanted passport for one country
and then go to another?

Im looking around 1882/83 and most of the Destination columns are for Brazil
only with Ditto marks all the way down the page.    I've been reading every
name but  maybe  I just look for those going to America and read from right to
left.

Thanks.

Maria Elena