LaRonda,

When you get into genealogy, you'll learn about primary and secondary
sources. I explain it a little bit in this link. https://goo.gl/dGG4Ar

Primary sources: Something generated AT THE TIME of the event.
Secondary sources: Something generated AFTER the event.

A death certificate is a primary source for the death ONLY. Anything you
glean off of the death certificate is a secondary source. You need 2, 3, or
sometimes more, secondary sources to agree with each other to figure out
what you are trying to prove.

This ancestor, Marie U. Janinto Linhares...Janinto is not a name. Maybe
it's Jacinta (old spelling - Jacintha). Dad is not Jaquin Jacinto either.
He'd be Joaquim Jacinto (or Jacintho for the old spelling). Unless you are
trying to assign a surname to your Maria. Don't do it. She didn't have one. No
mother's name is listed most likely because the American death is asking
for the mother's maiden name, which she didn't have. Women didn't use
surnames in the Azores from about the mid-1800s onwards (they started using
them again around 1911).

If Maria was born 5 Sep 1854, her baptism would be on image 55 or shortly
after. These are the 2nd time period baptisms, so you'd find her parents'
names on the top line. So she wasn't born 5 Sept 1854.
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PV-RIBEIRAQUENTE-B-1849-1859/SMG-PV-RIBEIRAQUENTE-B-1849-1859_item1/P55.html

You can't jump generations though. You need to go to your Joao and extract
his parents and his grandparents. You will find out his grandfather is NOT
Joaquim Jacinto. So take your Joao's baptism and the link from the previous
email and try to extract the names. It doesn't matter if you get them on
the right side of the family or not. You just need to train your eyes to
find names. So let me know what you see and then I'll guide you through the
rest.

Cheri

Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada