Gwen,
My gggrandfather Jose de Freitas da Caldeira was born 02 Aug 1774,
Caldeira, Mosteiro, Lajes das Flores, married 29 Aug 1796  at Nossa Sra dos
Remediios (in Fajazinha) to Ana Pimentel, born 10 Oct 1776, Lajedo, Lajes
das Flores. They were the parents of my ggrandfather Francisco de Freitas.
Caldeira is a small settlement (of about 2 or 3 houses) in the next valley
over the hill from Fajazinha so the residents were parishinors of Nossa Sra
dos Remedios. (Caldeira literally means crater and was the site of an
ancient volcanic crater) So Caldeira is a location name and his full name
could be translated to "Joe Freitas from Craterville"  These  suffixes
(especially upon immigration) have a tendency of becoming the official
surname. So we might be cousins!
I have 3 or 4 more generations back, so if you are interested, email me at
GfsJohnV at gmail dot com.
John Vasconcelos