Anthony S,

You have to find out which island. It's just the way it is organized there.
That's how they do their records. I don't know how it works in Australia,
but I'm sure if I wrote to the main Australian government and said I want
the birth certificate of my long lost cousin who went to Australia, they
couldn't help me. I'm sure I'd need a location for them to pull a record
for me. You need a location in the Azores.

All occupations existed in the 1860s. Laborers, farmers, fisherman,
servants, merchants, teachers, etc. No tech jobs, no electricians, no
plumbers, as those things just didn't exist.

I believe schooling was very limited and was only for the well to do.
Schooling for the common people didn't start happening until sometime in
the 1900s.

You need to find every possible record that your immigrant ancestor may
have left in Australia. You need at least an island. If you have exhausted
that, then you will need to turn to DNA and you will need to test the
oldest family members you can find and you will have to test multiple
family members in order to get enough of your immigrant's DNA to figure out
the puzzle.

Good luck,
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada